Wednesday, May 27, 2009

rolling hay and lazy birds

Let's face it, I'm too lazy to get up and go to the farm before work which is why I've only posted photos of these birds sleeping. For this photo, I climbed on the fence, stood above them and shook the birdhouse trying to get them to wake up. It likely felt like an earthquake to them, but they didn't move a muscle. So frustrating, because I know I'll have to get there early in the morning if I want to capture their heads up.

I do think it's kind of neat to watch them grow and fill up that nest. There's 5 total and they're about to outgrow their home, so it won't be long before they fly away.

Any suggestions on what to do with the nest once they leave? Is it safe to keep or do I need to spray it with something to kill bird-germs, or am I just being gross?

We had no rain for 5 days straight last week and so we were able to roll hay for the first time. Kind of monumental, I think.

On the other hand, Jett didn't know what to think and barked at each hay-bale for about 15 minutes each.

And just a shot of my parents and Greg looking at our pretty cows. They've been hanging out right by the fence in the evening and we can get a really close look at them. It is relaxing to watch them. I promise. If you think I'm crazy, please don't tell me....heehee

6 comments:

Lisa said...

So, you all have been busy baling hay? So, has Dad. I think it is one of his most favorite things to do in the world! I hear about it every night when my parents call. Oh - and don't be afraid of the cows! I distinctly remember my Grandma taking me into the pasture when I was around 3 or so and how the cows would run from me. Don't get me wrong - still respect them! I love hearing your stories about your new house-to-be and your farm. I need to find me a cowboy!!

stephanie howell said...

a. let's discuss your mom and her thinness. jealous.
b. bales of hay give me flashbacks. we loved running climbing and sliding off of them growing up.xo

Kimber-Leigh said...

steph beat me to it! your mom looks amazing!!!

sweet little birdies...even if they're sleeping!

*reyanna* said...

Cool! You get to roll hay?! And look at baby birds?! And watch cows?! Man... I miss the country. *sigh*

And your mom... she's hot. ;)

meagan said...

I love reading your blogs so keep it up! I love that we've been there to the farm so when you talk about things I can picture where at and what you are talking about. Corey's mom would say, "Just spray paint or polyurethane the bird's nest" Ha! Well then you'd need to add some super glue into the mix as well. Those are her 3 solutions to about everything!!!

Houston said...

I think the cows are relaxing too... I've always been crazy about cows, I don't why, probably my inner-farm-girl!