Monday, March 9, 2009

a name for the farm

We closed on our old house on Friday and are now planted in the guest bedroom at my parents' house while we wait to close on the farm and do some remodeling.

My family settled on the name "Pemberley Farms" although it doesn't quite look like Jane Austen's version:

My dad came home from working at the farm yesterday and proudly brought in his camera stating he had taken lots of photos at the farm. And, as we all know, quantity is better than quality, so I thought I'd share a few in their unedited form.

I think we need a bush-hog (Did I spell that correctly? If I'm going to live on a farm, I at least need to know how the equipment names are spelled)
Greg and Addy down at Drakes Creek. There's a perfect spot to launch a canoe or kayak where they're at.


This is the old horse barn (see I told you we need a bush-hog). The plan is to tear down this barn and build a new one that's more usable for our purposes. Also, we plan to plane the barnwood and use it as flooring in the remodeled house.
This is a brook that runs along the other side of the property. Much smaller than Drake's Creek, but just as pretty.

Yesterday was my birthday and I was happy to celebrate with lots of friend from church who embarrassed me at our favorite Mexican food restaurant. Yes, I had to wear the sombrero while they sang "Feliz Cumpleanos" to me. Other than that, it was very low-key and I enjoyed a wonderful birthday nap :)

14 comments:

Sweet Peripety said...

Congrats on the wonderful name for the farm! I love P&P!!!!

caroline said...

oh good name :)

happy birthday :)

Kimber-Leigh said...

love seeing the pictures...and it's a great name!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday April. What a beautiful farm, the land is amazing. You're going to love it there! Great name too.

Aimee Ann said...

that is wonderful. yay, you picked the one i liked :)

beautiful pictures, looks like a wonderful place.

happy belated bday.

Denise said...

You have yourself a beautiful piece of property. Make sure to get a lot of photos using that barn as a background before taking it down. It has great texture and character.

Unknown said...

I LOVE that name! The pictures of Pemberley Farm are beautiful!

The Mom said...

LOVE THE NAME!!!

Anonymous said...

i can foresee that barn being repurposed into a cool, funky, vintagey, loft-y gathering spot for calico-y functions and crops ... am i right? or just wishful thinking? or i could just move in ... i'm a real quiet and tidy tenant. can't promise the same for my kids ...

Davinie Fiero said...

My grandmother made me wear the sombrero on my birthday too! So glad to see I'm in good company, lol.

LOVE your river! Amazing that it's at your house! Good grief!

Also glad to see you put quality barn wood to use. If you have any left, I want it. hahaha.

:)

Elisa said...

Great name for the farm, the photos are fabulous. Hope that you and your Mr Darcy have a great life there.

AllyW said...

Better late than never but, HAPPY BIRHDAY (belated :) and wow, what a great piece of property! Have fun with the move.

Erin said...

Such fun photos! Looks beautiful!

Helsbells said...

Such a great name :) Your post made me smile as soon as I saw the first photo: I live about 20 minutes away from that Stately Home from Pride and Prejudice. We go for regular walks there - sadly no Mr Darcy though!

Good luck with the farm - it looks lovely :)