Tuesday, May 12, 2009

embellishment swap + a quick gift-card holder

I was so happy to receive these goodies in the mail

from Houston (the torn flowers and pleats)


from Gioconda (the tags and purple/green flowers)

Thanks so much! This swap was so much fun and I loved what I got so much. I kind of felt guilty for only sending my buttons after seeing what fabulous homemade embellishments they came up with.

______________________________________________________________

I was invited to a shower this weekend for a friend of ours from church. She and her groom are going to be married in Paris (how cool is that?). They are a very eclectic, artsy-type couple, so I knew my card would need to be good.


Supplies: Cardstock (Hazel by Bazzill), Patterned Paper (Studio Calico & Cosmo Cricket), Buttons (vintage), Twine (Studio Calico), Punch (Apron Lace by Fiskars), Stickers (Pink PaisleeSassafras) &

To make this, I cut the cardstock to 5 1/2 x 12", then tri-folded it to fit inside an invitation card which is 4 3/8 x 5 3/4". Next, I cut a piece of the Cosmo Cricket paper to 1 x 6" and punched it with the Apron Lace border punch. After doing so, I adhered it to the edge of the top flap and trimmed the excess. Then, I cut a piece of patterned paper to go on the top flap to 5 1/2 x 3 1/2" and adhered it leaving room for the scalloped edge to show through. Then, I embellished the front with stickers. The flower is actually one sticker cut in half.

It's important to add the gift card (I adhered mine with a tiny bit of glue to the middle portion of the card on the inside) and your personal note (I wrote my note on the bottom flap in the inside), because after this, you'll be adding the buttons and sealing the card.

Finally, I chose two vintage buttons and adhered them using pop-dots. It's important to use a good adhesive such as pop-dots, because your twine will cause some strain on the closure and you don't want your buttons popping off before the bride gets to open her gift.

I cut the brown twine to about 12" and wrapped it around the top button a few times beginning with the center of the twine (no adhesive is necessary), then did a figure-8 one time around the bottom button and tied the ends into a pretty bow.

All in all, it took no time at all and the best thing about this gift card is that I was able to make 2 cards at once. If you use a 12x12" sheet of cardstock, it's perfect for 2 cards and a real time-saver the next time you give a gift.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your card is beautiful!!

Aihara Ramintessah Sanchez said...

I love your card hun! I might try this one and give you a shoutout.TFS!

Gioconda said...

I'm glad you liked them. And I LOVE the buttons you made. This was so fun!

Jill said...

That card isn't good, it's great!

Houston said...

I'm glad they arrived! I love your buttons and I'm having a hard time taking them off the cute backing and using them... you did an a bang up job on the packaging too!
That's a lovely card, I'm sure they were so pleased to receive it!