Thursday, January 7, 2010

even more from my home front

I realized that I never came back to tell you what my kitchen countertops were made of.

Sorry to leave you hanging.

Only one person got it right, but I'm not sure she counts because I think I had already told her what they were....

They're actually concrete. Highly polished concrete actually.

I've seen concrete countertops before and they generally look like concrete. Rough and like a sidewalk is sitting on your cabinets. But, this looks like upscale concrete, don't you think?

In reality, it's the same ole bag of concrete you can get for a few bucks at the hardware store. The difference is the artist behind it.

I'll tell you a bit more about that later, when our laundry countertops are installed....

But for now, here's some more photos of house projects getting checked off the list.

My favoritest tile in the whole world with grout. See those pearly whites? Don't they just shine? I can say that because they'll likely never be so sparkly again.


And, up against the baseboard and wall color to give you a feel of the room. But don't feel too much, because these pennies (aka quarters) are all mine.



The hall bath is now laid and grouted. We just chose a simple white with a medium gray grout to match the....wait for it

wait for it

charcoal gray walls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not showing you that just yet)

A shot of the threshold and my staple boots this year. So what if they're the same from last year.
Moving outside, we're making progress, too. It was about 20 degrees when I took this photos and the guys were wanting to discuss column placement. So, I snapped the photo, went inside and watched them talk, gesture a bit, talk some more, and then about 10 minutes later, I came back outside to approve the decision.

me = not dumb

Finally laying the tile in the master bath.

VERY simple. I think those are 6x6 squares like you see in the bathroom at a convenient store.

Scary, I know...but mine will be cleaner than that, I promise you.

Although G misses the trash can quite a bit.

I really wanted these all over the floor.

And you thought the pennies upstairs made you smile.

These.

These are itty bitty tiny (can't think of a currency to compare them to), smaller than pennies.

Can you tell I have a thing for circles? It's the shape I most love, but wouldn't want to be.

Would much rather be hourglass myself.
I married upside-down triangle, which is transforming into circle, hence the medicine ball post a couple weeks ago.

Back to the tile. These tiny circles are in our shower in the master bath.

Hopefully they'll help prevent slippage.

[insert Big Bang Theory reference]

According to Sheldon that's a must. He has ducks on his shower floor, but I think tiny circle marble tiles are more fashionable and serve the same purpose.

Okay, back outside to the backyard.

There's my man in Carhart, sporting the vest he would like to wear out to eat and to church.

Behind him is my parents basement being poured.
Yes, I will live THAT CLOSE to my parents and I'm 100% okay with it, but that's another post for another day.

Now, these I'm proud of even though they weren't my idea.

Porch ceilings.

I don't know the technical name for anything here, but I do know the wood species is pine and it's stained before it's put up. There's a reason for that, I'm sure. And, it looks really expensive, but it's not.

No, it's not cheaper than vinyl, but it is a cheap price for a nice look.

Don't ask me for quotes, I don't know what they are, but these were one thing within our budget, so I know I didn't break the bank on them.

And a different angle.

Can't wait to be sitting under them this summer, sipping on a Sonic drink and watching Greg grill one of the cows.

Can't wait. Especially because it's looking more like Valentines' Day before we'll be moving in.

18 comments:

Davinie Fiero said...

You kill me. The part about Greg grilling the cows had me rolling. We are kin, I tell ya. We split our cows with friends and during the summer there are often evenings when extra people are on our porch "watching over their quarter".

All that remodeling? Looking good!

Keshet said...

It's looking gorgeous! Though I must say, I've never really thought about tiles before. I guess that happens when you remodel a house:)

michele said...

can't wait to see it all finished!! yes, little tiles = less slippage. we have 1x1 slate tiles in our shower and it's WONDERFUL on the feet. more grout to clean (pooh) but so much better than feeling like you can't stand on one foot to wash the other without falling on your hiney. and that was concrete?? i've never seen it look so sleek before! amazing!!

Kimber-Leigh said...

everything looks great april :) and how fun to be so near your parents. i'd love to be a stone's throw away from mine too! what a blessing!

Debbie said...

tongue and groove boards? similar for sure. remodel looks great. are those shakes above the main door? gonna be a beautiful nest.

AllyW said...

I love your porch celings!! I love that look. This house is going to be freaking gorgeous when it's done.

Anonymous said...

your home is so beautiful! ... and it isn't even finished yet :) I totally want to come on down to BG and get a tour once it is finished ;) heehee! ... wouldn't that be nice, a bunch of strangers roaming through your lovely home!

lisa truesdell said...

LOVE. and just about choked on my drink at the cow comment. hee!

Karen said...

looks like it is coming along! love the porch ceilings. keep them updates coming! i love seeing them.

Tina said...

what is it with men and their carharts? I had to tell the guys they could not wear anything carhart to our wedding. crazy.

vtpuggirl said...

The tile looks amazing, never thought of circle tile!

Joaniebolognie said...

Wow your house is really coming together....it will be a beautiful HOME! Love all the flooring choices!
My mom and MIL have lived with us for the past 7 years....they each have their own mini apartments attached to our home! Wouldn't have it any other way!

Nicole said...

you=cracking me up on a regular basis.

:)

Lulu said...

Oh dear... you had me till the grilling the cows part. Now I need to vomit. lol.

But I do love seeing what you are doing to your house.. I just love it so much. :) I'd live that close to you guys too!!! hehe

Sasha Farina said...

let me tell you that i ADORE your Porch ceilings. :) I wanna have that in my house now.

*reyanna* said...

Oh, I'm LOVING this! And that is the SAME porch ceiling that I want!! We should get on that before summer! LOL.

And I was SO going to guess concrete for the countertops, but I was like, "Nah... she'll laugh and think I'm silly." LOL. Ah well. :-)

I'm so glad you're sharing this with us. I'm SO enjoying seeing the progress. I LOVE all your floors! Yummy. :-)

Houston said...

I was with you right up until "grill one of the cows"... I get it now but my first vision was Greg and the cow going head to head... I might need a little more caffeine this morning :) I love all the round tiles and the bank of windows in the dormer! Can't wait to see what you do next.

Matt said...

Really love the remodel! See you guys in Anaheim!