Saturday, October 10, 2009

tour de grandmothers part 1

When my mom and I landed in Houston, the welcoming committee was there to pick us up. Grandma, Uncle Steve, Aunt Kathy, Brandi (my cousin), and Piper (her daughter). Let's just say it was a good thing we only had carry-on luggage.

Piper was her usual talkative self and we chatted the whole way back to West Columbia (an hour's drive) about Bolt, school, Marley & Me, and braiding hair. Fun stuff.



When we got to Kathy and Steve's new house, I got the guided tour. The house has lots of limestone, which is so beautiful, but is horrible for wireless internet, if you want to know. Luckily, though, they have wireless, so that's where I plan to be on sneak night (Tuesday) for Studio Calico.

On the house tour, I saw lots of interesting things. One was a portrait/painting of my dad that they had found in Grandma's attic when they were moving. He had it done in New Orleans many years ago and it's just so cute. Can't wait to show you!

Another interesting item was Grandma's toilet seat. Talk about a throne! I was going to try to sneak a photo of it today, but it was......well....it was pungent when I passed by her room. Maybe I'll have better luck later.

Today, Kathy got up and cooked a big breakfast on her 48" cooktop. Sausage, bacon, eggs, new potatoes, toast...she can fit a lot on that griddle! I'm so happy we decided to go with the same size cooktop in our farmhouse. It's perfect for cooking for a crowd, and let's face it, when you live on a farm, cooking is the only option you have if you want to eat, so I know I'll be doing lots of it.

I'll leave you with a photo of my Grandma, known to Piper as "Mammaw" and she gets confused when I call her by any other name.


Right now, I'm in Corpus Christi (3 hours south of West Columbia) for a couple days visiting my maternal grandmother. I'll have photos of that tomorrow, hopefully.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Sounds like you are going to have a great trip. Corpus is so lovely. I love the bridge and lights and night. Go take a dip in the Gulf. It has healing powers!

One Daddy + One Mommy + Big Brother + Baby #2 on the Way! said...

Glad you all arrived safely! Have a wonderful trip! Enjoy your family time!!

Karen said...

have a great time!

*reyanna* said...

Thanks for posting pics while you're away! Love them. Sounds wonderful to be surrounded by your family. I'm glad you're having such a great time!

And thanks for the reminder about Sneak Night! I missed it last month! EEK!

Erika said...

SO much fun A. Enjoy every second of your trip!