Wednesday, October 28, 2009

happenings

When I'm stressed and worried about forgetting something, I make lists. I usually draw little check boxes next to my "to do" items and then check them off as the day goes on and admire the list when every box is marked. Today, however, I only got to check one thing off my list. I did so much today, lots of things to work towards checking off the items on my list, but only one completed item. So, at the end of the day, I looked at that lonely check mark and realized that it's not that I didn't do anything, I just need to write out all my tasks step by step so I can check off more things during the day. heehee.

Since a lot has happened since I posted last, this post will just be a list so I don't forget anything and so I feel accomplished today.

  1. Launched the November kit at Studio Calico. This was a huge feat as it was the first time I put together the slideshows and during that same time period, made sure all the shop items were correct, inventory was done, kits were packed, email newsletters were sent, AND the new kit photos worked correctly (which seems simple, but after you edit every photo 3 times, you realize the job isn't that simple after all). Of course, I couldn't have done it without Lorie, Stephen, Cara, Kristen, Mom, Kennon, and Maggie (who took all the kit photos this month).


2. Granny #3 who I call "Bertie." Her real name is Berta Faye, but she is my "Bertie." When I was born (along with my twin sister of course), my mom had to have emergency surgery and afterward needed help taking care of us. Her mom lived hours away and my uncle was still in school, so that option was out. Dad's mom worked as a schoolteacher, so that was out as well. So, several ladies from church volunteered to come each day. It didn't take long until mom canceled all the other ladies and just asked Bertie to stay with us all the time. She chose us and we chose her. Apparently, we instantly fell in love and were much better, more contented babies when she was around, so ever since, she has been my grandmother. It's actually a longer story than this, but to keep with my list format, I'll expound more on that later.

After I left Bertie's house on Saturday, she had a mild stroke on Sunday. She's been in the hospital the past two weeks, but is going to be home soon. She's doing very well.

3. Jackson's Orchard. I was determined to make it there this fall since I haven't been since last year, so I went during playgroup time (several of the mothers from church with their young kids get together each Thursday), and took photos. I'll post those tomorrow, but here's one to whet your appetite.

4. House. We've had lots of things delivered, but they're all in crates so there's not much to look at. But, just as an update: The drywall is complete, the plumbing is complete (well, no fixtures are set yet), we're trying to decide on the stain for our floors (they go in next week), the brick on the fireplace is being fixed tomorrow, tile will start next week, and we're in the process of choosing paint colors.

5. Home Front. Putting the final touches on Studio Calico's first release to retailers. It will go live later this week for purchase, shipping mid-November (really, we're shipping earlier than that, but I like to over-deliver instead of over-promising). Email info@studiocalico.com to set up a wholesale account.

6. Recovering. I go tomorrow for a prerequisite to my next round of fertility treatment. Hydrosonogram. Sounds like something with water and I've chosen to be blissfully ignorant on the rest. It's unlike me to not thoroughly research anything that's going to happen to me, but I'm expecting this to just be quick and then I'll be on my way to the next round and back to my regular researcher self. Wish me luck.

I'll post the Jackson's Orchard photos tomorrow. Can't wait! But for now, this list is complete.

11 comments:

Rhian said...

Good Luck with the treatment and best wishes to you grandmother for a speedy recovery x

Melanie said...

Hope Bertie is better soon! I also keep my finger's crossed for your tx. Maybe take some ibuprofen before the Hydrothingy, it's not too bad but if you are prone to cramps then a little painkiller before the examination does help. Hope you get a good result!
Cannot wait for further updates about the farm, it is so fascinating to follow its progress and owning a farm is one of my biggest dreams.

Kimberly said...

Sorry to hear about your "Bertie." Grandmother's are Antique Little Girls and are just he best in my mind. I miss mine. This will be the first Holiday Season of my entire life without her...

I cannot wait to see your Jackson's Orchard Pictures. I love that place!

vtpuggirl said...

Oh good luck to you! Thinking of you. Can't wait to see what you choose for your floors. Closing on my house tomorrow, so excited!

Kimber-Leigh said...

i always add the "extras" to my to do list so that i can check them off :)

praying that the treatment goes well...thinking of you!

Steph said...

The hydrosonogram shouldn't be bad at all. Compared to the other stuff...it's cake. Hang in there :)

Karin said...

Hope the hydro goes well, take an acetometaphine prior to it (not ibprofin which is bad for fertility treatments)

Houston said...

Good luck tomorrow and I hope Bertie is home with those she loves soon.

Karen said...

good luck with you testing....hoping your bertie is well. missed reading. glad you are back!

jill marie barrett said...

hi april
i am new to your site and i love it. i wish you all of the luck in the world with this new round of fertility treatments. i lived in your shoes 4, almost 5 years ago. it took us over 4 years to get our daughter. and we ended up doing ivf with icsi. and it was worth everything we did. i will say a prayer for you and greg tonight.

Angela W said...

Great lists! Glad to hear your Grandma Bertie is better and will be going home. Much luck with your next round, will be praying for you!