Friday, November 21, 2008

just because

It's been over a year since I scrapbooked a layout just because.

I was inspired to do so by this post.

In the past year, I've only done layouts for challenges (which I love), layouts for contests and layouts for design team work, but last night, I just wanted to scrapbook a picture that was laying on my desk. I had set it aside to use it with December's Studio Calico kit, but for some reason it never made the cut. I have loved this photo since I took it last year, and last night was the perfect opportunity to scrap it.


Supplies: Cardstock (Bazzill); Patterned Paper (Fontwerks, Jenni Bowlin, Making Memories, KI Memories, vintage); Stamp (Studio Calico); Trim (Maya Road)

I wrote the journaling off the cuff and if my sister is reading, I hope she reads this knowing I had the best of intentions. It reads:

Amber, I am thankful for the memory of this moment last year at Christmastime. You were at my house with Scarlet, Noah, and Nadiya exchanging gifts. You had gotten an easel for Noah and Nadiya to keep at the office. Do you remember watching them tear into that huge box and the way Nadiya's face lit up in excitement when the contents were revealed? That was a moment I remember you being you. Just you, no pretense of a beautiful, successful woman. Not that you aren't just that: beautiful and successful, you are. But you are so much more than that. You are giving and kind and thoughtful. You are witty and funny. You are carefree and at your best when your guard is down and when you're just the kind, compassionate person that you are. It seems as we've gotten older and made different life changing decisions that I have to look harder and harder to uncover the true you. When it's there, you are radiant...we are radiant: full of laughter, wit, and one comment after another that has us giggling like we did at 16. I love those moments. I live for those moments. I cherish them, long for them, and will treasure them forever. Please try to be patient with me and understanding and know that it's me who can understand what you are going throught. I love you and care for you and want to stick by your side in thick and thin, but I can't be there for you if I don't know you or know who you've become. I want to be a good sister, someone you can confide in, laugh with and cry with. Let me, please let me try to be that sister again, so we can have more moments like these: moments in which you are funny and witty and we're just waiting to see what you will say next. Merry Christmas!




I created the star with a Fiskars punch, then outlined with a pen. The vintage dictionary pages were cut free-hand into four inch strips then layered on the page. I used Colorbox cat's eye chalk inks to change the color to red/green.

6 comments:

Terri said...

love that vintage page technique. It will most likely be lovingly lifted often....

Anonymous said...

that is beautiful April!

Anonymous said...

Awesome layout April and I love all that journaling!

stephanie howell said...

oh april, i LOVE it. i love love love the journaling and i'm so proud of you for just writing what you feel. it's beautiful.
xo

Anonymous said...

Can I adopt you? Can you be my sister too? It was from the heart and that is all that you can ask for....you are a good sister!

Lorie

Lyn said...

beautiful beautiful journaling. i love this design too.