Thursday, April 15, 2010

tour of an empty farmhouse

So, here's the state of the farmhouse minutes before we started moving in. You'll see we still have lots to do, and I won't be posting many updates until I start getting these rooms filled with furniture and decorations. Right now they look pretty pitiful.


Here's a look at my favorite purchase of the entire house. I love my stove because it's 48", has 6 burners AND a grill/griddle thingie, heats water in seconds, and is generally awesome. I also love my stove because I was cooking on a 4-burner electric stove, of which only 3 worked and one was cock-eyed, so I really only had 2 burners at the apartment. The difference is dramatic.

We went with the Thermador after much debate. Our top pics were the GE Elite and the Jenn Aire, but in the end, Thermador came back to us with a whopper of a deal (less than 1/2 of retail plus a free dishwasher), so we couldn't turn it down.

Again, our countertops are concrete and now they have the final coat of wax on them and are beautiful. My IVF nurse's husband did them for us and he was so meticulous. Everything was perfect: all the holes were in the right places, everything was exactly perfect, even against a wall that was off-kilter a bit.

What you don't see in this photo is a harvest table that we use as our island. I was worried about that decision, but when I show you a finished photo, you'll love it, I just know it.

And, before I go further, unless I state otherwise, all lighting is from Schoolhouse Electric in Portland, OR and they were a dream to work with.

This is the mud-room off the kitchen. Love my decision on the floors. Our shoes get kicked off here and that keeps the rest of our floors somewhat clean :)

Past the mud-room is a bathroom. This is a 1928 American Standard sink with a new faucet. Loving it, but will love it more when I get a mirror and the sconces hung in here.

The shower in this bath was hard to show because it is covered over in paint supplies. We still have the painters coming back tomorrow for the rest of the touch-ups.

The walls are concrete, slathered on, so it's a different process than the countertops. I'll explain more about this when the bathroom is finished (paint cans removed) and can show you all the details.

From the living room looking toward the front door.

In the living room looking into the kitchen. The ceiling turned out more beautiful than I expected.

Off the kitchen and main hallway is the laundry room. Those brackets will have open shelving. The wall is solid tile.


At the other end of the hallway is our bedroom. We took that light fixture from our old house because the new owners were going to replace it with a fan.


And, the master bath. Love the color of my walls in here. When I do a room by room report post-decorating, I'll be sure the list the brand and color of each room.

The consoles are from Pottery Barn. You can see we're lacking mirrors, but those + the sconces were hung this week.


Off the foyer is the office/scrapbook room.


Around the corner from that in the middle of the main hallway is the half/bath.
I really wouldn't have had this bathroom except it was already here, otherwise it's just another toilet to clean.


At the top of the stairs is a landing. The first thing on the landing is a bookshelf/magazine rack.


Then on the other side of the chimney is a desk area.

Here's the whole landing.

This is our smallest bedroom where we'll put a twin bed.

Next to it is the guest room, where mom and dad are staying.

And their bathroom.



This is the hall bath upstairs.

My favorite bathroom in the whole house. I love this sink!!! (Kohler available at Lowes.) To the sides of it, we now have two old dressers and they look like they were made for the space.


A very unattractive TV room.

Very empty.....as in we're sitting in lawn chairs to watch TV....waiting on my sectional to arrive.


And, lastly, this is the baby's room. I'm really looking forward to decorating this one.

29 comments:

Laura said...

Oh April, it is perfect.

Robyn said...

I just love your home! Perfection!! Have fun decorating! :) That's the best part!

ArlaMo said...

Gorgeous!! I can't wait to see it all finished.

Keshet said...

It's so beautiful! I love that sink! And the floors are making me drool--weird, I know. I have a thing for floor. Sigh.

Lulu said...

It is so so beautiful!! Love the wall mounted double sink!! I can't wait to see your baby's room develop.. None of my babes ended up with Nursery's.. long storey. ;) And this next one will room with us till goodness knows when.. eek! :)

Vanessa said...

it looks stunning!

Joaniebolognie said...

OMG....your home is beautiful! And that baby's room.....what a special room that will be!

Matt said...

Guys....this is really amazing. I love the style! Helps us with a few ideas as we get ready to move into the new home too.

Unknown said...

Please can I move in???? This is amazing, April. You and Greg did an awesome job!

Kimberly said...

Beautiful April and Greg! I cannot wait to see it in person the next time I come to the farm.

Kimber-Leigh said...

wow! it looks amazing april! i'm so glad you guys are in! my parents have that stove and i love getting to use it. (i'm a little jealous of the two ovens!!!) can't wait to see it all decorated!

sylvie said...

Well, the result is certainly worth all the efforts you guys put in... it is absolutely stunning (I want to move in too...lol). Love that sink, and all the white everywhere. Have fun decorating now!

Unknown said...

Your whole house is absolutely jaw dropping! If I were to choose my dream home it would be something very similar to what you've done here. So much gorgeous light and color!!

Danielle said...

I absolutely LOVE your 'new' home. The wood floors and ceiling are amazing. I love everything you've done with it! I want to buy me a farmhouse now!

(Hi, by the way - I'm fairly new over at SC, and have become addicted to your blog :))

JennO said...

Beyond gorgeous. Beyond. I can't wait to see it 'decorated'. I know you guys will be so happy to get settled and just start enjoying all your hard work!

sarah said...

gorgeous! i look forward to seeing decorated!

and i couldn't love that double sink more. OR the tile in the laundry room. OR the fire place configuration (how it's open on both sides to the kitchen). and speaking of fire places...did you ever say why that board was turned differently?

have fun decorating!

Stephanie said...

Oh my, here are no words. You are a very lucky girl.

AllyW said...

I am seriously in love with your house!!! Thanks for sharing all the great pictures!

Shannon said...

a girl after my own heart... I could see me picking out most of these things... besides those appliances ;)

Mrs Frizz said...

oh wow ... jaw dropping to the floor ... and some floors that they are too ... just quietly.

Thank you for taking us on a tiki tour through your home and sharing it with us ... with obvious pride. Can totally understand that ... it's gorgeous ...

Look forward to seeing the next round of pics with you all settled in ...

and I have to ask ... 'the sconces' ... haven't heard of that term down under ... what are they ??? gulp - showing my ignorance now ... crikey !!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! I've been anxiously awaiting these pictures. Can't wait til you share when your home is furnished.

Karen said...

looks lovely. can't wait to see finished photos. well worth the wait! xoxo

{Happy Homes} said...

April,
What a LOVEly home! I'm in the process of gutting my kitchen, so I appreciate all your beautiful, finishing touches! Door hardware, lighting, tile...beautiful! I just want you to know I'm praying for your pregnancy;0)
blessings,
tonyad

Anna Sigga said...

Ohh my word - your house is absolutely stunning! Love everything about it, the colors, the ceiling, the floors and the colors on the walls!

Beautiful home for such a wonderful person!

AmyInKy said...

Your house is just amazing! I can't wait to see photos of it decorated. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

lisa truesdell said...

la-la-LOVE. i can't wait to see it all put together, i know it will be amazing!

karenp (kphike) said...

Just beautiful and stunning April and G...so happy for (all) you guys! Thanks for sharing with us!

Kim said...

April,
This is just beautiful! I have been waiting for you to post final pics....now maybe I can show this to my hubby and talk him into an old farmhouse. I also can't wait to see the decorating; love, love, love your style.
Thank you for sharing...

Anonymous said...

your home is beautiful. i have loved watching its evolution, and look forward to seeing your decorative touches! enjoy!!