Tuesday, May 17, 2011

onwards and upwards


Today, I watch those busy hands scaling the side of the coffee table.



Today, I'm fascinated watching Claire discover the world around her.


Today, I love that my baby looks over her shoulder to gain my approval.


Today, I see her smile at the sound of my voice.

Today, I'm amazed by how quickly a child can learn.

Most of my day is spent with daily and necessary activities: folding clothes, washing diapers, unloading the dishwasher, working on the computer, answering emails, conference calls, washing diapers, making the bed (sometimes), feeding Claire, did I mention washing diapers?

But, for a brief moment each day, I try to soak in the moment Claire is in knowing that it is so temporary. Whatever she's accomplishing today is old news tomorrow.

I try to take in all her smiles, coos, activities, all while teaching her about the world in which she lives. Teaching her there is a time to play, there's a time to sit, a time to eat, a time to read, a time to sleep. Boy, is there at time to sleep!

There's no shining trophy or certificate to tell you, you're doing a good job as a mom. But, there is the happiness you see in your child's eyes, the obedience they begin to show, and willingness to please you that's so priceless.







Yep, that's my girl.

And, seeing these photos makes me want to go wake her up from her nap so I can give her a squeeze. almost.

14 comments:

justem said...

That photo of her smiling is precious!!! This is a great post...all so true. :) And I hear ya on the diapers!

One Daddy + One Mommy + Big Brother + Baby #2 on the Way! said...

This post made me so happy AND sad at the same time! Happy because I LOVE the joy I see on Claire's face and expressed through your words, sad because I so vividly remember this stage in Garrett's first months like it was yesterday! Enjoy every second! Love to you!

lisa truesdell said...

i want to squeeze her again, too. =) love these words.

Donna said...

she is amazing.......

meganklauer said...

She is so darn adorable! What a great post!

Celine said...

Oh my. Did i ever tell you that I want to kiss Claire! She's just adorable!

Zorina said...

Yes, yes, and a big Yes to that! CHEERS and kisses to Baby C.

Tamara | One Craftee Mumma said...

She is just beautiful! I bet if you had a dollar for everytime someone told you how gorgeous her eyes are you would be a millionaire right?

sylvie said...

Can I go and squeeze her too? Claire could not have chosen a better mom, I'm sure... Enjoy these precious and tender moments!

Gina said...

I literally spent THREE HOURS on your blog one night (I can't remember how I found it) - but I read through your purchase and remodel of your farm, your IVF, conception and birth of Claire...all of it. And seeing these pictures - ah, she's beautiful! I have four children after 10 years of struggling with infertility (IUI was our answer, so no where near the drama you dealt with daily doing IVF). My oldest is now 8.5, ,my youngest is 3. The time flies. I remember my Elizabeth (the 8 year old) at this age and how I would watch her - and cry in gratefulness for the privilege of watching her grow. I know somewhat how you feel as you watch Claire. She is beautiful!

Cynthia Lloréns said...

I just love to came here and see all the photos and your post as nice to read!!!!
She is so ADORABLE..CUTE....SWEET !
I love the moments with we live to just see great thing in simples moment!!!!
What a great post!!!
Have a wonderful week!!!..with so many creations and so many funny little sing with this little explendid gir!!!
Kisses and hugs from Brazil
Cynthia

nicole said...

sooo cute! I love getting to see all the photos of the Claire.

Tricia said...

She is adorable April! But don't bother to wake her up when I can just send Charlie your way - he's up in his crib "singing" away. He's decided in the last few weeks that naps are for sissies & that his mama should just enjoy his adorableness every moment of the day...

Chiao said...

Claire is so adorable,I want to give her a big hug !!!