Normally, I'm a very very organized and timely person, but with Claire's room, I just couldn't pull myself together. I had a vision for what I wanted it to be like, but it wasn't coming together.
First, her room was painted the light tan color that was the same through0ut color in our house. I actually liked the way that looked, but was wanting something a bit different. So, we changed it to yellow, which in theory sounded nice, but really it just looked very yellow once it was painted. Didn't like that at all. So, there her room sat for weeks. Complete, but yellow. I tried to talk myself into liking it, but I just wasn't.
Finally, I worked up the courage to tell Greg that I wanted it repainted. And, that I wanted it to be blue. I think he really thought I had lost my mind since it was supposed to be a room for a girl. But, he obliged and painted 3 samples of paint on the wall for me, and we finally settled on this color.
(I'll have a complete listing of my paint colors in a separate post.)
I call it "aqua" because that sounds less masculine.
The quilt was made by yours truly after following an online tutorial recommended to me by Susan Weinroth. Unfortunately, the tutorial isn't available online anymore, but I'm sure you could find one similar. I've only made 2 quilts in my lifetime and both were self-taught by following youtube videos or tutorials. The binding tutorial that I used was by Heather Bailey, but if you're like me and have never seen the concept, watch a youtube video on it first and then her instructions will make more sense.
The picture frames in the above photo are by Pottery Barn Kids and they're on sale now. I purchased all 3 sizes, and plenty of them. Then, I filled them with old dictionary pages and diecuts from the Nursery Rhyme Slice Cartridge by Making Memories.
This armoire is actually an old TV cabinet that Greg and I bought for our first apartment. We had it repainted gray and the VCR (yes, that's right) box taken out and replaced with a rod for hanging clothes. I keep her current clothes in here and the ones she'll wear later in the closet.
The dress is one of mine that my grandmother made for me when I was 3. I can't wait for Claire to be able to wear it.
This rocker is a hand-me-down from my dad's side of the family. If you could only have seen the nasty torn vinyl on it. We had it reupholstered and new cushioning added too. The fabric is a nice thick waffle-type weave and the pillow is a clearance from Pier1.
You might notice the Sassafras poster. I don't think anyone believed me 2 years ago (or was it 3?) when I saw the Life is Beautiful line at CHA and stated that I would hang this poster in my baby's room. I don't even know if I believed it myself, but the colors really did work, so we went with it!
This window overlooks the east, so there is bright sun in the morning.
The bunting was made with my leftover quilt fabric, plus a few additions. I can't say enough about the etsy seller who made it. She was wonderful to work with and did a fantastic job. She even made me a cute bib with some of the fabric. She was wonderful.
The sheers are from Restoration Hardware Kids and the rod is just a dowel painted white and Greg added an old doorknob to the end. I don't know how he did it, but he made the comment, "I could do projects like these all day long" after he was finished. So, if anyone wants a door-knob curtain rod, he's your man!
And, the most used (and abused) piece in her room...It's been peed on more than once. And just today, Greg announced that this wall was a casualty as well.
I'm officially tired so that's all I can think of posting about her room, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.